Scribis Thesauri - Free Online Writing Tools
Warning for tablets and other touch devices:
a) automatic suggestion is activated by tapping inside the editor.
b) activate the full screen view by clicking on the button located in the menu at the top left
Scribis Thesauri is a free online editor dedicated to students and writers. With Scribis Thesauri you can work with 3 Thesauri (Wordnet, Roget's Thesaurus, Moby Thesaurus), and 3 Dictionaries (Collocations, Synonyms, Word2vec). In fact, the page is divided into four frames: in the top left window (this one you are reading) there are editors while in the other three windows you can get results from thesauri and dictionaries. Just type in the editor to see the results that each dictionary you activated (indicated in yellow) provides you. The space bar or tab keys trigger Scribis searches: choose the one you prefer. A brief introduction in this video guide. Below you can read the explanation of all the buttons.
1) If the button is yellow, when you type in the editor you will automatically get the results from the dictionaries you have activated
2) Click on the dictionary you want to work with to activate it. The button will turn yellow:is a large lexical database of English. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms (synsets), each expressing a distinct concept. Synsets are interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. Scribis uses a modified version of the Princeton University database (2010).
3) By clicking on you will turn off all Scribis searches (the color of the buttons turns gray ). To reactivate all searches click again on
4) By clicking on in a dictionary window, you will turn off all Scribis searches in that window. To reactivate searches click again on
5) By clicking on the button you will delete all the results in the reference window
6) By clicking on the buttons you can work with editors that do not activate automatic suggestions. They are designed as spaces for taking post-it notes
Other editor functions:
a) maximize the editor to work more comfortably (but automatic suggestions are disabled)
b) copy the text to the clipboard. You can paste it into any of your other programs
c) Save the text in a simple text file (those with the .txt extension)
d) import a simple text file into the editor
e) delete all the text inside the reference editor
Beyond Scribis Thesauri
A standalone app of Scribis Thesauri to work with offline is coming soon. To see other Scribis editors that best suits your needs, see also:
Scribis Matrix is a language tool for creative writing and brainstroming. It generates word matrices to encourage productive and combinatorial thinking.
With Scribis Thesauri plus you can work with Thesauri, Dictionaries and Databases of sentences selected from classic novels, dramas and poems. You can also automatically generate the wordclouds of the results offered by the database to obtain a visual representation of the keywords
Scribis 3.0 is the main editor of the Scribis Project. It allows to work in one place with many language tools. Based on the last words typed or dictated in the editor, Scribis will suggest words, synonyms, phrases instantly and pertinently. You can choose to work with dictionaries of synonyms, collocations, thesauri like Roget's Thesaurus, Moby Thesaurus, Wordnet and other lexical databases generated by neural networks and databases of sentences selected from classic novels
Visual-Thesaurus is a project connected to Scribis with Visual Dictionaries and Thesauri, Brainstorming Tools, Word Cloud Generators
Contacts and other useful links
- HOME PAGE of the Scribis Project
- Scribis on FACEBOOK
- Scribis on TWITTER
- Italian version of the Scribis Project
- For more information, to request new databases and functions, to report bugs, to collaborate on the project: firstname.lastname@example.org